During August and September, 61 manufacturing alliance business leaders responded to a 9 question survey seeking their feedback on topics relevant to our members. The following is a highlighted summary of those responses:
Q1; What are the top three challenges facing you today?
- Challenge – Finding qualified candidates for current job openings
- Challenge – Lowering cost of overhead
- Challenge – Increasing gross sales level
Q2; Which of the following two strategies will be your primary focus going forward when you spend money to address the skills gap issue within your organization?
- 55% said “Technology to replace tasks/functions currently done by workers in house”
- 45% said “Better ways to recruit good candidates”
Q3; If given time with a business investor, what would be your primary focus for the discussion?
- 70% said “what ideas would make my business more profitable”
Q4; If the alliance where to create an event on the topic of “understanding the value of your business’, Which strategy should be the focus of the meeting?
- 64% said focus on “Self-assessment tools for benchmarking”
- 36% said “Use a panel of experts”
Q5; Going forward, what will be your company’s primary strategy for getting new business opportunities?
While many suggestions were submitted, the top three where;
- 32% said they will “develop a targeted sales/marketing campaign aimed at new prospects”
- 22% said they will upgrade their in-bound marketing tools and processes
- 16% said they will begin moving to a new market segment
The remaining four questions focused on the best ways for The Alliance to be of service to its members going forward:
Q6: These are the top four suggested meeting topics for future events.
- 64% said “Use of technology in manufacturing”
- 52% said “Workforce development issues.
- 43% said “Sales/marketing strategies and techniques”
- 33% said “Succession planning issues and strategies”
Q7: The best time to hold a meeting was:
- 42% said “in the morning”
- 35% said “start at 7AM”
- 5% said “in the evening/after work”
Q8: the best format for a meeting
- 70% said “live meetings with interaction opportunities”
Q9: the best way to communicate and inform members
- 40% said “Regular updates on trends/news”
- 35% said “Provide networking opportunities with other members”
- 25% said “provide subject matter experts to disseminate knowledge an